Easy chicken tortellini soup
This easy chicken tortellini soup recipe is a healthier choice for a weekday dinner with a tasty broth and plenty of comforting cheese tortellini!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced or chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 Italian seasoning scripts
- 2 cups cooked chicken (or more, to taste)
- 1 packet cheese tortellini (25 ounces)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to taste
- Chop your onion. Add to a large pot along with the olive oil. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes (fine if onion sautes slightly).
- Meanwhile, chop the celery and carrots, then add them to the pot along with the garlic. Stir well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water and Italian seasoning. Increase the heat to high, and once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and tortellini to pot. Increase the heat to medium-high and let the soup cook for another 10 minutes or so. If it starts to boil furiously, you may need to lower the fire again.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
This type of soup will absorb the broth, so it is better to eat it immediately. Leftovers are still tasty, but you may need to add more water or chicken broth.
See my tips in the blog post if you want to make this soup in your slow cooker.